Fire Department Contacts
The Scottsboro Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1937. Prior to 1937 the city had a fire truck, but no organization existed. The first truck purchased was a 1937 Ford, which we still have today. The fire station was located on the corner of Broad and Peachtree Street on the courthouse square. When a fire call came in the driver would circle the square in the fire truck and the volunteers who mostly worked on the square would get onto the truck to respond to the fire.
In 1948, the department added two full-time fire fighters. E.V. “Shorty” Bishop was made the first full-time chief. He remained chief until 1967, when he and Captain Floyd “Shank” Dawson were killed in an auto accident en route to a fire in Hollywood.
Porter Dawson served the department as chief from 1967 until he retired in 1978.
Lonnie Webb served as chief from 1978 to 2000, when he retired with over thirty-five years of service, with twenty-two of those years as chief.
Chris White was promoted to Chief in December 2008. He served as Chief until February 2014.
Gene Necklaus currently serves as Chief.